Saturday, July 30, 2022

To Covid, With Love!

 Dear Covid,

 I cannot even believe that it is going to be our second anniversary; the entire credit goes to your mutant agility. I would be economical with the truth if I don’t concede that we tried our best to shut you out but like a real dogged lover, you were determined to be with humanity. I realize we are destined to be together for a lifetime so let me open my heart, my dearest Covid.

        We imposed lockdowns, created hurdles of geographical boundaries to not let you in but you never left our pursuit. We often banged utensils and shouted ‘Go Corona Go’ on the streets, we made people bathe in sanitizing tunnels and sprayed gallons of toxic chemicals all around but there you were, just amused at the infallibility of human stupidity.

        I was scared of you in the beginning. Yes, I do prefer seas to the mountains but that did not mean you would always come in waves. There were Delta and Omicron and it was no fun surfing these.

        Of course, there were good parts of our relationship. You have put my mind at ease as earlier there used to be hundreds of unknown diseases to be dealt with. A fever could have meant dengue or a bacterial infection and a bout of loose motions or body ache matched myriads of fancy ailments on the internet but now all discomforts lead to Covid. Often when I do not feel anything, it might be the asymptomatic you. People think about you more than they think of their spouses.

        Yes, I do not like going to the market with my wife but that did not mean you had to keep everyone indoors for such a long time. Do not openly display your favoritism for the asocial people!

        All of us had become selfish and mean and often forgot to acknowledge the almighty. You reminded us of our frailty and brought us closer to God. You also reminded us how closely we are all connected. A sample of our species hanky pankied with a bat in China and there you were, knocking off humans and embracing all countries.

        You gave us a new language to communicate. Our youth was getting lost in social media memes and the elders were busy exchanging treasures of WhatsApp knowledge but you taught us a common vocabulary. Everybody had her own cure for Covid and now grand aunts and toddlers discuss zillion ways to treat Covid. Let me tell you the title of my next book is ‘One Thousand one ways of treating Covid’. Please stop smiling.

        Because of you, I now do not have any vitamin deficiencies. I have improved upon my immunity through Allopathic, potions of homeopathic and bitter seeds of ayurvedic medicines. My liver and kidney cry more than they do filtering spirits but I am sure my body now has minerals that may not even exist.

        I am also impressed by the immense respect you garnered in such a short time. Diseases that have been with humanity for hundreds of years shudder seeing you and worry that any spray of sanitizers may kill them when people are just acknowledging Covid.

        And after two years of our relationship, stop being a jealous lover who cannot get enough of humanity. People thought you would come once or twice but you never get bored of our bodies. Even vaccines are unable to keep you at bay.

        Love is good but do not overdo it. Be mild and live like an occasional epidemic, not a pandemic. Live and let live!

        Sick of you,

         Humanity


No comments: